Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Reflections on reflections

What I am writing in the following paragraphs is going to very ironic since I am going to critique the purpose of having reflections in this so-called reflective space of mine over here.

In all true sense, I like having an online journal so that I can process my thoughts and put them down in concrete terms. And I understand the purpose of having this blog so that I can write and share my thoughts about my preparations and experience in microteaching etc.

However, what I personally disagree with is the mode of assessment of our personal reflections. This does not pertain to Geography, but rather more on the Individual Differences component. Yes, it is appropriate to reflect upon our personal experiences to relate to what we will learn in this component. The main questions that I would like to pose is: who has the right to decide on what is 'right' and 'wrong' in our personal reflections? Who is to decide on whose reflection piece is going to be worth more marks than the others? Besides, why does 'Individual Differences' not go beyond the issue of disabilities? What about gender? Social class? Sexuality? Ethnicity? These are a few of the many aspects which will mark one individual differently from the next, isn't it?

Personal reflections are very arbitrary and much entwined with our personal lives. And I resent very much having 'experts' to grade and judge upon my experiences and life when I am the sole expert in understanding and experiencing my own life. I think it is pretty unfair that the rubrics of such 'reflection' pieces are set by these so-called experts. One may say that life is always unfair. Yes, I agree with that as I have been at the receiving end of such 'unfair practices' due to my 1) education background, 2) disability and 3) other issues which I shall not write over here (except in my personal blog). And I have been fighting against all these for so long that nowadays I really feel very tired of doing so, but I cannot not fight.

Nonetheless, I think that it is extremely contradictory for this component to have a standardised set of benchmark (I assume so since you must always have one when you want to assess something) to grade our reflections when the main focus is on 'Individual Differences' on students. Don't teachers have their individual differences as well? We are exhorted to be true to ourselves by many (and it is a principle which I firmly believe in). On the other hand, when it comes to such 'reflective' assignments, how can we be true to ourselves when we want an 'A' grade? Are we being hypocritical or self-delusional? Are we shortchanging ourselves? Do we want to be just another 'teacher trainee' or 'teacher' in the system?

1 Comments:

Blogger IcePrincess said...

Amazing how after a hiatus you spring such a thought-provoking post on us! I've always been cynical about the grading system. Who decides what is 'right' or 'wrong', 'acceptable' and 'unacceptable'? (Of course with the exception of MCQ answers!).
Very uh, reflective reflections post. I echo some of the sentiments raised.

7:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home