Saturday, September 20, 2008

Quiet reflection time@5am before madness begins again

It's going to be a busy, busy weekend for me. Marking papers, setting test questions, preparing lessons, CCA stuff. See how I am going to cram all these into 2 short days. Why? EOY exams will be coming soon. Work after EOY will also be just as intensive as I need to prepare for the trip. What trip? This one. The sacrifices we make to pursue our higher calling. But it's ok. Since it's my passion and I am bound by my principle of 'converting' others to see the relevance and fun in taking up Geog, I am contented and happy in doing something that I like. Yeah, I know in this pragmatic society, the Humanities are seen as irrelevant. Perhaps true if we are merely looking at it for career development. But I firmly believe that without these subjects, our life would be less enriching as after all, where oh where are we going to know about world events and the universal values of human life, if not for humanities?

Humanities = Human-ities. Study of humans and we are all surrounded by them, being one ourselves. We are all guided by what we believe in. Beliefs do not come from nowhere, but through our experience in interacting with others and knowledge of what has happened, is happening and will happen.

Anyway, before I get too carried away... Was reflecting back to events that had occured since the year started. It has been amazing that I managed to learn so many things in this short period of time. Think I am now qualified to tell my juniors (esp SL) that 'Life is NIE is a rose. Wait till you graduate and become a full-fledged teacher'. Muahahahaha. They are going to so hate me for 'suaning' them.

Last week has been particularly eventful. Actually the whole experience marked a sense of deja vu for me. But I guess growing up has its pains. How we deal with it will influence how we develop as a person as an adult. Thinking back, I think growing up for me would be less painful if I had the support that I needed, but hey, I survived! Actually it is quite amazing because I could never imagine myself to be living the life now when I was a teenager. struggling to do my best and with other issues. Seriously I could never fanthom my post-secondary life back then. Guess, we mature and grow stronger as we get older and have more experiences in life huh?

Nevertheless, regardless of where we are, we need to always understand the context where one is living in, in order to know the person better and understand why they behave in certain manners. I would dare say that yes, it is easy to judge and make caustic remarks to the person, but wouldn't life be much easier and more beautiful if we take the time to show care and concern AND live in harmony with others?


*shudders* Ok, I know this sounds cliche and totally 'NE-ish'. Ugh. But I think there is no better way to put it.